One of the best benefits of joining a CSA is eating seasonally. By the time fall rolls around I am so thrilled by all of the root vegetables and winter squash. Dinners are focused around hearty soups, and roasting in a cast iron skillet. But, in the summer the crispness of early summer is the perfect pair for the heat. All summer long fresh green salad graces our table, first with radishes and scallions, and later with heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers. For a nice variation from salad that can be the whole meal, try lettuce wraps. Separate out the best looking leaves from a head of lettuce, and top with whatever’s left in your CSA Share box from the week. For omnivores bacon or grilled chicken is a great addition, and for vegetarians try beans, mashed or in a salad. For this batch I mashed a cup of chickpeas with a squeeze of lemon, pinch of salt and pepper, and a tablespoon each olive oil and tahini. Stir in some thinly sliced scallions or fresh herbs. Avocado mashed with lemon, salt and pepper works in all lettuce wraps in my opinion and for leftover veggies like beets, carrots, turnips, and kohlrabi just grate them raw. Slice radishes, cucumbers, or summer squash for adding to the top. If you’ve tried any of our quick-pickles, they’ll add a lot of flavor, as well as any pesto. Wash and dry the lettuce, then assemble wraps with dips and spreads first topped with grated and sliced veggies and proteins. Or just bring the lettuce and toppings to the table and let everyone make their own! This is a great option if you have any gluten-free, paleo, or vegan friends.
- From CSA Member Valerie: Use lettuce in place of tortillas for tacos with ground beef, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream.
- Use pesto, hummus, or guacamole as a base.
- Grated beets and fresh goat cheese with walnuts.
- Julienned vegetables, smoked tofu (or tofu khan), and peanut sauce
- Wrap bean salad, potato salad, egg salad, celeriac remoulade, or potato style parsnip salad
- Grain salad like Springtime Tabouli or Fennel Farro Salad
- Wrap a burger in lettuce
- Chicken salad or tuna salad topped with pickled radish or turnips